- Total Time
- 45 minutes
- Active Time
- 45 minutes
- 1 pt mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 lemon worth of lemon juice
- minced pickled jalapeños, to taste
- brine from pickled jalapeños, to taste
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 4 large eggs
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
Smoky, just a little spicy, and high protein: shakshouka may be the prefect hangover food.
In a pinch, you can skip the whole deal with roasting the cherry tomatoes and just leave them out. I like adding a bit of roasty flavor to it, but some mornings I don’t have the motivation.
You can also add pretty much any vegetables you want, and vary up the spices. I like at least smoked paprika, but I’ve used different paprika blends, and sometimes I add cumin.
I’d recommend serving this with a good crusty bread, toasted if you like. If you want to add meat, pretty much any sausage would go rather well with it.
- Preheat your oven to 450ºF. Slice each cherry tomato in half and toss with a generous pinch of salt and 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Arrange the cherry tomatoes, cut side up, in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 25-35 minutes, until nicely caramelized.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in a wide frying pan. Add the diced onion and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the canned tomatoes, including the juice. Stir in paprika, lemon juice, jalapeños, and brine. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in chickpeas. Cover and continue to simmer until the cherry tomatoes are roasted.
- Remove the cherry tomatoes from the oven and use the parchment sheet to lift them and transfer them into the shakshouka. Stir to combine.
- Crack the eggs into the shakshouka. Continue simmering for a few minutes, until the whites begin to set at the outside.
- Cover and continute to simmer for about 3 minutes, until whites are completely set.
- Uncover and dish out portions. Top each one with a bit of diced fresh tomato. Serve immediately.