Napa Cabbage Kimchi (Batch 1)
- 2 quarts
- 1 head napa cabbage
- pickling salt
- kimchi paste
Simple, classic Korean spicy fermented cabbage.
- Quarter the head of napa cabbage through the core.
- Spread a generous amount of pickling salt between the leaves of each cabbage quarter.
- Place the salted cabbage quarters in a large bowl and top with a plate. Put something heavy on the plate (like a few cans from the pantry) to weigh it down.
- Let the cabbage sit for at least 30 minutes. Remove the quarters from the bowl, reserving the brine, and spread the kimchi paste in between all of the layers.
- Pack the cabbage into mason jars or a fermentation crock. Add residual cabbage brine until the cabbage is totally covered. If there’s not enough, make up some 4% salt brine to fill. Weigh down to keep it submerged if necessary.
- Let ferment at room temperature until it reaches your desired level of sourness, generally a few days. If you use a mason jar, burp it at least once a day.